There is no doubt that Jaguars are one of the most sought-after luxury car brands on earth. With that brand, you can expect a perfect mix of luxurious comfort, maximum power, brilliant performance, and precise handling. Even though Jaguar cars are renowned for their style, beauty, and uniquely-designed suspension systems for a smooth riding experience, they still experience mechanical failure. It is essential that they undergo routine maintenance to keep their suspension systems working efficiently.
The brand’s pioneering role in the development of the rear suspension component is juxtaposed to experiencing a bumpy ride, should your suspension give you troubles. Jaguars of different years and models may require different treatments for their specific problems. To properly diagnose your Jaguar differential problem, you should have some basic knowledge of what a differential does and how it may fail.
The Role of Differentials in Your Jaguar
Controlling the spin ratio of each wheel during cornering is primarily the responsibility of the differential. Jaguars all have independent rear suspensions with limited-slip differentials, except for a few recent models. The constant movement of differentials requires them to be lubricated frequently in order to remain in good working condition. The regular lubrication of differentials can extend their useful life and improve their performance.
As noted earlier, differentials are available in a variety of types. Jaguar differentials come in two types: torque-vectoring differentials and limited-slip differentials. To identify warning signs and develop solutions for differential failure, it may be helpful to understand the difference between them.
- Torque-vectoring differentials: A torque-vectoring differential is a feature of recent Jaguar models. This system has a computerized clutch that controls the rotation of the wheels as opposed to a mechanical limited-slip differential.
- Limited-slip differentials: These are standard, open differentials that provide power to the wheels from the engine.
Signs Of Differential Failure in Your Jaguar
A Jaguar differential failure can be caused by a variety of reasons, depending on the age and model of the vehicle. If you have a torque-vector differential or a limited-slip differential on your Jaguar, you may not detect the same failure signs. However, let’s analyze some of the prevalent warning signs in either differential type:
- Tire Damage: It is a good indicator that you may be experiencing issues with your differential if you notice an outer tire or sidewall wear on your rear wheels. A failing differential prevents the tires from spinning at different speeds while cornering. This causes the gears to grind and causes the tires to rotate at the same speed, which damages the tires.
- Unpredictable Handling: A faulty differential can lead to unpredictable handling when driving around corners, and it is apparent that the vehicle is not performing as it should.
- Intense vibrations: The vibrations caused by a defective differential can become more intense as the vehicle accelerates and gradually diminish as it slows. The best precaution to take if you are experiencing this issue is to avoid driving at high speeds and to have your vehicle checked out as soon as possible.
- Gear grinding: Gear grinding is another sign that your car’s differentials are experiencing failure and that the gears are rapidly deteriorating. You should avoid driving your car in this situation since the rear wheels are susceptible to locking up at any time, posing a risk.
The differential is an easily repaired component, so you should hesitate to ensure your safety and the proper function of your suspension components if you suspect a problem.
Terry Sayther Automotive Will Help Maintain Your Jaguar in Top Condition
The mechanics at Terry Sayther Automotive are uniquely qualified to work on European imports, such as your Jaguar. Terry Sayther Automotive offers Jaguar-specialized maintenance for drivers in Tarrytown, Lakeway, Kyle, Buda, and Austin, Texas.
Considering the importance of these vehicles to their owners, we recognize the importance of these vehicles to their owners. We are also avid Jaguar fans. Our philosophy is to treat every car like it’s our own. Whether you wish to schedule an appointment or speak with one of our mechanics, you can call or visit our service center today! Contact us for an inspection and diagnostic testing of your Jaguar to keep you safely on the road.
* Jaguar F-Pace Car image credit goes to: YuriyVlasenko.